Instructor: Dawn Cogan
Cost: $150 per family
Class #1: Sat. 2/16/13 & 2/23/13 (4 hrs. each Sat. for a total of 8 hrs.) First Presbyterian Church
Class #2: Sat. 3/16/13 & 3/23/13 (4 hrs. each Sat. for a total of 8 hrs.) Monroe Catholic School
• How I got involved in beekeeping. What is beekeeping? How much honey will I get? How much will this all cost me?
• Equipment necessary to keep bees in Alaska
• Biology and races of honeybees
• Members of the hive and their duties
• Where can I get bee equipment? Should I get new, used or build my own?
• Getting equipment ready for arrival of bees.
• Insulation, feeding bees properly
• What to do when the bees arrive
• Is my queen marked? (queen marking tool)
• Management of honeybee colonies in Alaska, the beekeepers calendar
• Running 2-Queen Hives
• Swarming and how to prevent it
• Honeybee diseases
• Extracting your Alaska honey
• What to do at the end of the season/Wintering Over
• Storing your equipment
• Beeswax candle making
• Wrap up questions and discussion