Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Another beautiful summer of Beekeeping in Alaska! - Next Interior AK Bee Co-op Meeting

Hello Fellow Beekeepers, Another summer is beginning to awaken in the Interior of Alaska and the bees will arrive anytime between April 11th and the last day of April.

  • If there is still snow on the ground a few days before the bees arrive, I shovel down to the dirt or grass to remove a patch of snow at least 10 feet wide by 10 feet long to ensure the bees have a place to complete cleansing flights without getting confused between the earth and the sky. The light reflecting off the snow and the sunlight in the sky can disorient honeybees. If bees fall or fly into snow they will surely die.
  • A couple days before the bees arrive I will bring my equipment into the house to warm it up. 
  • I have purchased sugar for spring feeding. 
  • The day before or day of arrival I will thaw out pollen patties and mix sugar syrup (minimum 1:1 ratio) water to sugar. 
  • My hives will be placed with the entrance facing southeast for the earliest morning sun.
  • I am insulating the hives inside and out and starting out with one brood box. The smaller the house, the easier and cheaper it is to heat!

You are cordially invited to the next Interior Beekeepers Co-op Meeting at Botanical Gardens on April 21st, 2018 - 2:00pm for two live hiving demonstrations. Jennifer and I will be hiving one colony of Italians in a Langstroth Hive and one colony of  Carniolans in a top bar hive. All are welcome and please bring a bee suit to this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment