Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Did you say, "Pupa"?

Hi Folks,

Today I did my final queen checks and have already found capped brood, otherwise known as "PUPA"!  How exciting for those of you who have just started beekeeping and get to do it in a season that starts out so warm!!  So far we have had great success with our queens.  Only one arrived dead in the box and it happened to be mine and since I always order extra queens, NO PROBLEM!!  If you have drawn-out comb you will find the bees are storing as much sugar water in the empty cells as possible.  Remember, your brood pattern should never look spotty but rather the eggs and larva should be in the shape of an approximate oval in the center of each frame.  Another surprise I found today was an unmarked Carniolan queen which means she probably was in with the workers and fought against the one I put into the hive and won.  I think I will name her, "Black Beauty"!  Ginny Kinney and I are headed South to Anchorage tonight to meet up with Steve and Donna to bring back our final shipment of bees for local beekeepers.  I estimate we will arrive at 605 Betty Street around 5PM tomorrow (April 25th).  If you have any questions you can call my cell at 378-1563.

No comments:

Post a Comment