Sunday, May 27, 2018

Entrance Reducers, Brood Boxes, Hive Checks, Swarm Prevention, & Water Source

Entrance reducers can be removed completely now.

I am now exchanging brood boxes to get the queen to start laying in the 2nd box that was added sometime in the past three weeks. So, I am taking the top brood box off, setting it aside and then removing the bottom brood box and setting it aside also. Then, I am putting the box that was on the top of the bottom board and setting the box that was on the bottom on top.

None of my hives have feeders in them except for the top bar hive.

Regular hive checks every ten days keeps honeybees from swarming. I am looking for eggs, larva, pupa, and an increasing population of adults every hive check.

June is the month with the most potential for swarming. Once I determine I have a laying queen, I remove all queen cells and queen cups to prevent swarming.

Excess comb that is built outside of the wooden frames is removed and saved for making cosmetics or candles during the winter months.

Now that most snow has melted, make sure a water source is available nearby. A shallow drinking space is preferred to keep the bees from drowning.


No comments:

Post a Comment