Friday, May 18, 2018

Insulation, Entrance Reducers, Inner Feeders, Health Brood Pattern, and Regular Hive Checks

Hello Folks,
The beekeeping season is well underway with queens laying up to thousands of eggs every day.


Insulation:
Outer insulation has been removed and inner insulation is still in place for about another week or so.

Entrance Reducers:
Right now I'm removing entrance reducers in the morning (40* or warmer) and replacing them on the smallest setting at night (Less than *40).

Inner Feeders:
For hives with drawn-out comb, all feeders will be removed this week and the bees will consume any sugarwater stores in the cells, giving the queen more space to lay eggs.

Healthy Brood Pattern:
All colonies should have eggs and larva and most should have pupa. Here is a photo of a healthy 
brood frame:


Regular Hive Checks:

Every ten days I am performing complete hive checks.

1) Ensure the queen is laying and her pattern is healthy
2) Remove all queen cups and cells
3) Check for any abnormalities or disease
4) Remove any burr comb or comb built outside the boundaries of the frame
5)Check to make sure queens have enough space to increase the population

4 comments:

  1. So I think one of my hives has mites. I'll be sprinkling powdered sugar but was wondering if I should do anything else? Thanks!
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use a green drone frame. Once it is full of capped pupa, remove it from the hive, shake off the bees and place it in the freezer. This kills most if not all of the mites because they have a preference of eating the drones during the pupa stage because they take 24 days to develop rather than 21. This gives the mites four more days to feast on the unborn bee. If you want to borrow my green board, please call me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.. attic insulation removal and replacement

    ReplyDelete
  4. Здравствуй! Если еще не поздно, то я делала балаяж в парикмахерской в Бибирево. Опытные мастера, очень довольна! Девочки, рекомендую!

    ReplyDelete