Sunday, June 3, 2012

Successful Hive Checks!!

Yesterday several students attended the top bar demo.  It was a lot of fun and I answered many questions.  Together, we removed multiple queen cells, removed the outer insulation and found two out of three queens.  All inner insulation is completely removed and replaced with empty or drawn-out frames and there are no longer sugar feeders in the hives except for my top bar since my bees in that hive still need to build several more combs.  Stay tuned as our next big change will be adding the queen excluder and two supers to the top of your hive(s).

1 comment:

  1. Boy I learned so much watching Dawn go through her frames... not only how to handle frames, but how to look for drone cells and queen cells most efficiently.
    Thank you so much Dawn for letting us watch and learn! You rock!!!