Thursday, May 17, 2012

Flip Your Entrance Reducer!!

O.K. Folks, I believe Jack Frost has finally begrudgingly left town.  You never know for sure though since a few years ago it snowed on June 1st.  Today I changed my entrance reducer to the two/three inch entrance.  This will allow the bees to come and go much faster and allow for better ventilation during the hottest part of the day.  Also, today I found one queen cell out of 4 hives so I made sure to find my queen and watch her for a few minutes to ensure she looked healthy, then I checked for new eggs and larva in full patterns.  Finally, I scraped the queen cell completely out of the wax comb.  It actually had a queen larva in it so it would have hatched out in about two weeks which would have been horrible since I would have lost about half my colony.  Start looking over each frame carefully for queen cells.  After you have ensured you aren't in need of a new queen, get rid of any queen cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment